Thursday, March 10, 2011

'Clash of the Titans' (2010) - The Quest Structure

by Tristan Mahlow

Greetings,
today with my last article about 'Clash of the Titans' (2010). This time another observation, I'd like to share with you.
After watching the movie I had the feeling, Perseus is not in control of the action, but rather that - like in a Roleplaying game - he stumbled from task to task.
Right now I can hear you say: 'But that's what a Hero's Journey is all about: a hero overcoming increasingly obstacles towards reaching his goal' - and you are absolutely right! But what I learned fro watching this movie: Do not make it this damn obvious! I could feel the gears of the plot grind in the background - it was like checkmarking all the steps of a Hero's Journey. This is also due to the passive nature of Perseus, who doesn't make a single decision in this movie (soon there is a post coming about that problem). All in all this made the movie feel so unnatural.

Note to myself: The development of my plots should be organic, resulting out ot the needs of my characters. (Even when following the rule book!)

 Have a nice day,
- Tristan


Other parts in this Series:
'Clash of the Titans' (2010) - Evolution of a Script Pt. 1
'Clash of the Titans' (2010) - Evolution of a Script Pt. 2
'Clash of the Titans' (2010) - Evolution of a Script Pt. 3
'Clash of the Titans' (2010) - Non-Achievement

References: IMDb (5,9/10); Wiki; Roger Ebert; Rotten Tomatoes (28%);

No comments:

Post a Comment